The Super Bowl is one of the biggest sporting events of the year! Seniors can enjoy the camaraderie, the commercials, and of course, the game itself. If you’re thinking of throwing a Super Bowl party for the senior citizens in your life, here are a few tips to make it a touchdown:
Game Time Prep
- Pick a convenient time. The Super Bowl starts in the evening for the some parts of the country, but that might be too late for seniors. Consider an afternoon kickoff, or even a brunch party before the game.
- Make it accessible. Choose a location that is easy to get to and navigate, with plenty of seating and comfortable spaces to relax. If hosting at home, ensure there are no tripping hazards and adequate lighting.
- Decorate with style. You don’t have to go overboard, but a few festive touches can add to the atmosphere. Streamers, balloons, and football-themed tablecloths are always a hit.
Food and Fun
- Keep it finger-friendly. Appetizers and finger foods are easier to eat and socialize with than a sit-down meal. Think bite-sized sandwiches, mini quiches, vegetable sticks with hummus, and pigs in a blanket.
- Go healthy, but delicious. Offer plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, whole-wheat crackers, and lean protein options. You can still have all the classic Super Bowl snacks like pizza and wings, but make sure there are healthy alternatives as well.
- Don’t forget the halftime show! Plan some fun activities for halftime, like trivia games, singalongs, or even a simple chair yoga session.
- The Big Game, of course! Make sure you have a good quality TV and comfortable seating for everyone to enjoy the game. You can even set up a projector and screen for a more cinematic experience.
- Commercial bingo. Create bingo cards with squares featuring popular Super Bowl commercial themes or brands. It’s a fun way to keep everyone engaged during the commercials.
- Reminiscing time. Encourage guests to share their memories of past Super Bowls. You might be surprised at the stories you hear!
- Keep it casual. There’s no need to get too fancy. The most important thing is to create a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere for everyone.
- Be mindful of mobility limitations. Make sure your party is accessible to everyone, regardless of their physical abilities. This includes having plenty of chairs, offering assistance with getting food and drinks, and providing clear pathways to restrooms.
- Focus on the fun. The Super Bowl is a time to celebrate and have fun. So relax, enjoy the game, and make some memories with your senior friends and family.
With a little planning, you can throw a Super Bowl party that seniors will love. So grab your favorite jersey, some delicious snacks, and get ready for a touchdown of fun!
I hope this blog post has given you some ideas for throwing a Super Bowl party for seniors. With a little planning and effort, you can create an event that everyone will enjoy.
Have a great Super Bowl party!